Conservation Management Plan and Development Framework for the Castle Howard Estate
Client: A partnership of the Castle Howard Estate, English Heritage and Ryedale District Council
Location: North Yorkshire
with Alison Farmer Associates and other specialists
- To prepare a Conservation Management Plan for a sustainable, values-led future for the Estate’s many assets.
- To unify the Estate team’s approach to managing the landscape in the future according to its character and significances.
- To consider appropriate development possibilities for the Estate.
- We consulted widely across the stakeholder spectrum, seeking to draw from the experience and expertise of the Estate team and wider staff, as well as from the views of those working in related agencies, local amenity and advocacy groups, those who live and work in the area and the Howard family themselves.
- The team recommended a holistic approach to management that integrates future policies with wider strategic agendas. This will ensure the relevance of the proposals to the mutual prosperity of the Estate and surrounding communities. A core priority is to safeguard the special qualities of this nationally important rural estate.
- The Castle Howard Conservation Management Plan and Development Framework was awarded the Royal Town Planning Institute's Heritage Award 2009.
- The plan was particularly commended for breaking new ground by 'dealing with the socio-economic realities of management and for offering a model for other plans'.
- The judges said: 'Castle Howard has successfully implemented a dynamic management plan that is rooted in the estate's significance, values and special qualities'.
- The plan has already assisted Castle Howard in securing grant support from Natural England for the restoration of the estate's at Risk Grade 1 Listed Stray Walls.
Back to top